Here is an essay version of class notes from Class 11 of CS183: Startup.
“Capitalism and competition are antonyms.” That is a secret; it is an important truth, and most people disagree with it. People generally believe that the differences between firms are pretty small. They miss the big monopoly secret because they don’t see through the human secrets behind it. Monopolists pretend that they’re not monopolists (“Don’t regulate us!”) and non-monopolists pretend that they are (“We are so big and important!”). Things only tend to look similar on the surface.
The power law secret operates similarly. In one sense it’s a secret about finance. Startup outcomes are not evenly distributed; the follow a power law distribution. But in another sense it’s a very human secret. People are uncomfortable talking about inequality, so they either ignore it or rationalize it away, and it becomes a secret.
The distribution secret also has two sides to it. Distribution is much more important than people think. That makes it a business secret. But it’s a human secret too, since the people involved in distribution work very hard to hide what’s going on.
II. The Next Secret
Probably the biggest secret—bigger than monopoly/competition, power law, or distribution—is that there are many important secrets left. This used to be a convention forty or fifty years ago. Everyone believed that there was much more left to do. But generally speaking, we no longer believe that. It’s become a secret again.
Awesome read. I’ve believed this for a long time - though Peter states it much more eloquently!
I have to say I disagree with some of his perspectives on secrets.. at least the way they’re explained here: I think secrets are more subtle than depicted, and I think “knowing” a secret in the sense of a startup company is many times more akin to “knowing” an art, like Kung Fu, than “knowing” a fact, like the boiling point of water. It is not trivial to copy brilliance.
- karlastarr reblogged this from blakemasters
- nojonedge reblogged this from blakemasters
- orchmail reblogged this from blakemasters
- notafilmmakeryet likes this
- granite-countertops-toronto likes this
- pshroff reblogged this from blakemasters
- camotarps likes this
- jcmarshal likes this
- linxpark likes this
- apreppydemeanor likes this
- onesource-talent likes this
- startsyupsy reblogged this from blakemasters
- 1001soldes likes this
- aainslie likes this
- bcs-championship-tickets likes this
- atlantic-city-new-jersey-news likes this
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- transmarta likes this
- hotels-in-atlantic-city-nj likes this
- sensationalcandles likes this
- francoismathieu likes this
- afoketunji likes this
- malibu-recovery-center likes this
- purplesource reblogged this from blakemasters and added:
- news-2012 likes this
- timelessthings likes this
- impossibleconfidence reblogged this from blakemasters
- arishahdadi likes this
- leoneldicamillo reblogged this from blakemasters
- tmarthal reblogged this from blakemasters and added:
- 25io likes this
- learningstartup reblogged this from blakemasters and added:
- mescalineworries likes this
- kyleschen likes this
- alttext likes this
- joseiserncomas likes this
- naokishiratani reblogged this from blakemasters
- samueladewole reblogged this from blakemasters
- mellogood likes this
- roy-supremeking likes this
- funnydrawings likes this
- chronicpenguins likes this
- prstartupow likes this
- bleongcw likes this
- yahsurvivor likes this
- traviscorrigan reblogged this from blakemasters
- mvuinc likes this
- bksenior reblogged this from blakemasters
- dkliu1 likes this
- rohamgh reblogged this from blakemasters and added: